Sunday, April 20, 2014

Found Festival Design

I recently had the pleasure of doing the design for the 3rd annual Found Festival which is a multidisciplinary arts festival, across several venues in Edmonton. Here's a bit about that process:

1. I like to sketch with coloured animators pencils, they help me distinguish between elements.

2. I made three sketches of different concepts and this was the one the festival organizers decided to go with.  (I was glad, it was my favourite of the options too.)


3.  I drew the under drawing at 1.25 times the print size. The poster is 11 x 17 but the bottom 2.5 inches is reserved for sponsor logos, so the dimensions of my final product seem a bit unusual.

4. Using a lightboard, I inked all the elements on separate pieces of paper. Firstly because my scanner bed is not especially large (and I hate merging scans) and secondly because with all the elements already separate it makes colouring in Photoshop a little faster. 

I also sent the organizers five colour palettes to choose from, they chose the brightest, most summery option. I made two variations of the poster using the same colour scheme.

copyright 2014 Meags Fitzgerald

copyright 2014 Meags Fitzgerald

The festival is also printing t-shirts, this variation of the design was made for a one-screen screenprint.

copyright 2014 Meags Fitzgerald

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete