Friday, July 13, 2012

Souvenirs from Newfoundland pt.2



I got back from Newfoundland two days ago, where I had a lovely vacation to the east and west coasts of the island. Along the way I collected some goodies at junk shops, tourists shops and of course, at photobooths. Here are some of my finds.

I really like the illustration style of this massive poster, intended for a child's room. It fits the colour scheme of my room perfectly so I decided to put it up to keep my room cheery, since I've already started to pack up my usual decor in preparation for my move to Chicago.


I bought these handmade mittens at the Newfoundland Crafts Council shop, which I was really impressed by. I love visiting the Crafts Council galleries in different provinces, it makes Canada feel so unified to me. I bought this deadstock stationary items and old house-letters at a few places but mostly at Blue Star Traders in North Sydney, Cape Breton. Blue Star was a small department store that closed in the 70s and recently reopened to liquidate the vintage stock. I spent a lot of time in there, mostly in awe at the polyester trends of yesteryear.  

 

In a specialty tea shop in St. John's I found this silkscreened tea towel with a message and theme that I truly take to heart. I also thought it made for a nice wall hanging while my bedroom is in transition mode. And lastly, I found and used four photobooths in Newfoundland and one in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia. I documented the booths for Photobooth.net's Locator feature.



2 comments:

  1. HI,

    I enjoyed reading your blog, are you able to let me know where these photobooths are?? Specifically if there are any in St Johns? I will be heading over on my own adventure later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marshie,

      I submitted all the locations to Photobooth.net, the details for the booths in the entire province are here, http://www.photobooth.net/locations/browse.php?ddState=56&locationID=483

      Have fun on your trip!
      Meags

      Delete